Friday, February 27, 2009

Febraury Critique

Concentration: My concentration is an exploration of color and media through abstract art. The shapes and/or materials are inspired by nature and everyday elements. They started as landscapes, but as I continued in the process, I found that the smaller elements were was I was drawn to most.


The first piece is on a warped piece of wood that was sanded and painted. Then I added chalk pastels, colored pencil, acrylic paint, and yellow building gauze. The second piece is mainly acrylic on canvas, then i added handmade paper and fabric. For this i used the fabric to try a new media and sewed it to the canvas. I liked experimenting with it, and will use it in atleast one of next months pieces. The shpaes in this were inspired by a design that I saw at the Zoo.


For both of these I wanted to expand a little from the idea of layering. For past project I used alot of paint layers and oil pastel, however this month I wanted to expand so i used wood, and fabric as my main media explorations. I sort of like of both have a sort of warm and cool theme so that the contrast eachother well, but I think in the future I will try to incorporate other colors.






3 comments:

Christina said...

First piece: Your use of line and balance in this is really cool. The lower corner with the square shape really balances out to the vertical triangle/line that is in the upper corner. I think it's really cool that you're using different medias and surfaces to work on. It really makes each piece more unique.
Second piece: I love the color and rhythm in this. It just puts the viewer in a kind of upbeat mood and it's really cool. My favorite part is the lower, right-hand corner. I like the layering you've used and with black and red and magenta there especially my favorite.

Lindsay said...

The orange piece's composition works really well to draw the person's eye around the piece. The color scheme also works well. It's so warm :). Something that you might want to consider for the first piece you posted is what the person needs to be focusing on. The piece's composition is a little be hectic in terms of where the viewers eye should go to.

ELLEN said...

in your first piece, i think that its a little muddled, more so on the right sight. its hard for the eye to pick something to focus on over there, but the 'ack' is nice with te quite space around it. i do cherish your use of COLOR with the blues and golds, a nice mix of warms a cools. the colors in your second one are really good, with the EMPHASIS being on the one gold shape in the lower right hand corner. The CONTRAST between the background and the shapes works well. I think youre headed in a good direction with your new media exploration for these pieces.